Justice & Peace
Immigration impacts women and children deeply since they comprise more than half of undocumented people in the United States.
Because of this and the hardship they endure, immigration reform needs a strong family reunification component so that mothers and children will not be separated.
US Federation of the Sisters of St. Joseph – Leadership Council – Corporate Voice Statement, June, 2012
We, the U.S. Federation of the Sisters of St. Joseph Leadership Council, compelled by the Gospel and by our heritage to be responsive to the “dear neighbor” without distinction, call on the President and the U.S. Congress to enact immigration policy that is both just and comprehensive. We believe that this policy must include:
- A plan for addressing applicant backlogs for permanent residence, with family unity as a priority.
- An effective program for temporary workers that insures labor protections and equitable wages.
- A realistic path to earned legalization.
- Restoration of due process protections and reformed detention policies for those detained in the immigration system.
- Children and adults with no criminal background not be detained in centers or deported.
- Effective and humane border security that recognizes the human rights of all people.
- A process whereby students who are children of undocumented families can earn a college degree, become gainfully employed, and can enter into a path to citizenship.
Recent Public Immigration Statements
6/26/18 Federation statement vs. travel ban http://www.csjboston.org/2018/06/28/the-u-s-federation-of-sisters-of-st-joseph-objects-to-supreme-court-decision-upholding-administrations-travel-ban/
6/20/18 Federation Statement vs. Human Rights at the Border – Separation of Families http://www.csjboston.org/2018/06/21/the-u-s-federation-of-the-sisters-of-st-joseph-leadership-council-decries-human-rights-violations-at-u-s-border/
5/10/18 Federation statement on Ending TPS for Hondurans
2/4/18 Boston CSJ vs. TPS Termination for Salvatorans http://www.csjboston.org/2018/02/04/sisters-of-st-joseph-of-boston-react-to-tps-termination-for-salvadorans/
9/19/17 Boston CSJ vs Termination of DACA http://www.csjboston.org/2017/09/19/csj-boston-statement-on-the-us-dprk-crisis-2/
Immigration Impact Council
The American Immigration Council’s mission is to strengthen America by honoring our immigrant history and shaping how Americans think about and act towards immigration now and in the future.