Justice & Peace
Integrity of Creation
In his 2015 encyclical Laudato Si’, Pope Francis raised universal awareness of the interconnectedness of all creation, and of our duty to safeguard the resources of the earth, our “common home.” In 1992, at a time of growing awareness of our call to care for all creation, we Sisters of St. Joseph developed a corporate stance on behalf of the earth, which has guided our consciousness and our actions to preserve the integrity of the earth and the dignity and well-being of all humankind.
Corporate Stance on Behalf of the Earth (April 12, 1992)
We, the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Boston and Associates – as individuals, as local communities, as Congregation, as peoples of the earth, in the spirit of our charism of unity and reconciliation, call ourselves to transformation of our relationship with the earth and all creation.
Joining together in the struggle to live out this call, we commit ourselves:
- To contemplate and proclaim the presence of God in the whole of creation.
- To recognize the web of life…the unity and interdependence of all creation.
- To cherish the earth as our sacred home, to reverence her holiness, and to rejoice in her beauty.
- To initiate or support efforts to heal the earth’s damaged environment, to restore balance and harmony to the natural life-processes of the earth as an expression of our charism of reconciliation.
- To reaffirm our call to stand with the poor in their struggle for justice by sharing the finite resources of the planet justly.
- To insure the fullness of life for future generations by adopting lifestyles, values and practices which help to sustain renewable resources and preserve the diversity of creation. In simplicity and joy, we commit ourselves to being Passionate lovers of God’s earth.