The Boston CSJ Archives has as its purpose the preservation of the records and materials which pertain to the origin, history, spirit and growth of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston, and to reflect their apostolates and ministries.
As the official depository for all documents and materials of any form, made or received by the Congregation in the pursuit of its religious and legal obligations and in the transaction of its business, the Boston CSJ Archives holds documents of official actions, and of anything which helps to preserve the sense of history, the spirit and charism of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston.
These documents are held in a variety of formats: books and manuscripts, printed records, memorabilia, visual, audio and audio-visual material, and oral history. Various methods are used for preservation of the records, and to provide access to qualified researchers.
Archival photographs aid in the portrayal of the works and places of the Sisters over the decades dating from the first arrival of Sisters from New York in 1873. (One event is depicted for each decade, e.g., 1872-1882, 1883-1892, etc.)
Three gold crowns on a background of black surmount the Antwerp blue in the shield on which are designed a golden vase of white lilies and a carpenter’s square, with three nails in its angle. The three crowns were taken from the coat of arms of St. Botolph’s town, England. Boston, Massachusetts, was originally called St. Botolph’s town. This gave rise to the use of crowns in the coat of arms of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Boston. Springing from the golden vase representing religious life is the sheaf of Saint Joseph’s lilies. The carpenter’s square of gold represents the trade of St. Joseph; the three nails in the angle of the square represent the three vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
—Boston CSJ Archives 2003
Archives Websites Links
Archivist Boston CSJ Archives
637 Cambridge Street Brighton, MA 02135 -2801 Telephone: (617) 746-2117
FAX: (617) 783-8246