Justice & Peace
Care of Creation
CSJ Corporate Stance on Behalf of the Earth (April 12, 1992)
We, the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Boston and Associates – as individuals, as local communities, as Congregation, as peoples of the earth, in the spirit of our charism of unity and reconciliation, call ourselves to transformation of our relationship with the earth and all creation.
Joining together in the struggle to live out this call, we commit ourselves:
- To contemplate and proclaim the presence of God in the whole of creation.
- To recognize the web of life…the unity and interdependence of all creation.
- To cherish the earth as our sacred home, to reverence her holiness, and to rejoice in her beauty.
- To initiate or support efforts to heal the earth’s damaged environment, to restore balance and harmony to the natural life-processes of the earth as an expression of our charism of reconciliation.
- To reaffirm our call to stand with the poor in their struggle for justice by sharing the finite resources of the planet justly.
- To insure the fullness of life for future generations by adopting lifestyles, values and practices which help to sustain renewable resources and preserve the diversity of creation. In simplicity and joy, we commit ourselves to being Passionate lovers of God’s earth.
U.S. Catholic Climate Declaration
In April 2018, the Catholic Climate Covenant launched a campaign to collect endorsements from Catholic organizations to the Catholic Climate Declaration. This document is meant to express solidarity with the “We Are Still In” campaign. Both efforts address commitment to action to address climate change. On June 18, 2018, the Catholic Climate Covenant published the names of Catholic institutions throughout the United States who signed the declaration through their leadership. The date coincided with the third anniversary of the publication of Laudato Si’. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Boston signed the Declaration.
As Catholic communities, organizations, and institutions in the United States, we join with state, tribal, and local governments, as well as businesses, financial institutions, and other faith organizations, to declare that we are still in on actions that meet the climate goals outlined in the Paris Agreement. U. S. Catholic Climate Declaration
To learn more about Care for Creation contact firstname.lastname@example.org