News and Events
The U.S. Federation of the Sisters of St.
Joseph Recommits to Addressing Racism
August 17, 2018:
Following in the footsteps of Jesus, we commit ourselves to examine the root causes of injustice, particularly racism, and our own complicity as congregations, and to work to effect systemic change as we struggle to ensure immigrant rights, promote non-violence and protect Earth and its biosphere.
In the presence of constant and painful reminders of the deep roots of racism in our country, we, the U.S. Federation of the Sisters of St. Joseph join with the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) in committing to the critical work of creating communion, examining the root causes of injustice and our own complicity, and purging ourselves, our communities and our country of the sin of racism and its destructive effects.
We pledge prayer, education, and advocacy and commit to using our collective voice, resources, and power in collaboration with others to establish justice, which reflects God’s abundant love and desire that all may have life.
Actions We Can Take
- Use opportunities to become better acquainted with persons of different races by reading books by authors of other races, participating in discussion groups, and sharing in cultural celebrations, events and interfaith activities.
- Write letters to the editor when you perceive racial bias in reporting.
- For people who are white, reflect on the attitudes and behaviors that influence your relationship with people of color.
- Examine policies, procedures and practices at your workplace, organizations and institutions and encourage them to value diversity.
- Speak up when you witness discrimination against others. Do not engage in or tolerate racial slurs and jokes.
- Vote for candidates who make ending racism and all discrimination a priority.
God of love and mercy, touch our hearts and call on us to acknowledge and respect the “dear neighbor” in our midst. We pray for openness in our hearts to reject racism and all discrimination against our sisters and brothers. Inspire us to be agents of unity who embrace those who cross our paths with love and acceptance.
U.S. FEDERATION OF SISTERS OF ST. JOSEPH • 314-925-7676 • INFO@CSSJFED.ORG